Welcome message from HOD
The Department of Physiotherapy and Sports Science, formerly Department of Sports and Exercise Science, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Kumasi, Ghana, was established in 2004 with the Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Sports and Exercise Science programme. The first batch of students graduated in 2008. The 2020 congregation saw the 13th batch of Students graduating from the department.
The programme is intended to strengthen the progressive evolution in the profession of Sports and Exercise Therapy, Physiotherapy, and Sports management in Ghana. Qualified Sports Scientists have the scientific knowledge of how to promote continuous improvement and involvement in the assessment/training of athletes to establish and maintain an environment of national standard. The endemic issue of chronic non-communicable health conditions such as accelerated biological ageing/premature death, low cardiorespiratory fitness (VO2max), obesity, pre-diabetes, type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, hypertension, stroke, congestive heart failure, depression and anxiety, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, bone fracture/falls, rheumatoid arthritis, constipation, gallbladder diseases, etc. need qualified Exercise Scientists to prescribe specific exercise to complement pharmacological treatments.
BSc. Sports and Exercise Science was changed and reinvigorated in the 2018/2019 academic year to BSc. Physiotherapy and Sport Science with options in Exercise and Sports Therapy, Physiotherapy and Sports Management. The change necessitated the fact that Physiotherapy and Sport Science have a mutual tie in the profession of human sciences. The two disciplines however uniquely have specialized knowledge and application pathway where profession-specific areas of knowledge and skills are developed.
Physiotherapy and Sports Science programme provide well-grounded quality undergraduate programmes and services that meet the market demands of public and private sectors and individual interests in preventive health, wellness and fitness as well as athletes’ management in line with international values.
Physiotherapy and Sports Science programme are designed to develop manpower with scientific principles essential for health, preventive health, wellness and sports science profession by:
- Providing science-based educational training in Physiotherapy and Sports Science through the development and implementation of strategic programmes that would prevent the incidence and/or severity of sports injuries and optimize clients'/patients' overall health and quality of life.
- Ensuring that students acquire educational training in the clinical knowledge and professional skills for assessing, treating and managing sports injuries.
- Demonstrating the application of a defined body of knowledge and procedural skills, to collect and interpret data, make appropriate clinical decisions, and carry out diagnostic and therapeutic procedures safely and effectively as a Physiotherapist.
- Developing the understanding and acceptance of exercise as an alternative to medicine for total wellness within the country at large as entrenched internationally.
- Planning and examining sports development initiatives aimed at making positive impacts on individuals and communities.
- Apply management and organizational skills in the sporting industry.
- Preparing students who would exhibit competency and professionalism in preventive exercise delivery and scientific athletic injury management primarily as determined by national and international regulatory bodies.
- Collaborating with renowned institutions of higher learning in Exercise and Sports Science professions to improve and share academic experiences in research and teaching for quality graduate output. This will also enhance the adeptness of our products in meeting the needs of the ever-changing world.
Credit Passes (A1-C6) in six (6) subjects comprising three core subjects, including English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science, plus Credit Passes (A1 – C6) in any THREE (3) elective subjects in Biology, Chemistry and either Core Mathematics or Physics. Applicants with credit pass in General Arts, Business, Home Economics may be considered for entry into year one.
Credit Passes (A-D) in six (6) subjects comprising three core subjects, including English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science, plus Credit Passes (A – D) in any THREE (3) elective subjects in Biology, Chemistry and either Core Mathematics or Physics. Applicants with credit pass in General Arts, Business, Home Economics may be considered for entry into year one.
General Certificate of Education (GCE) and Advanced Level Candidates.
Applicant must have had credit passes (Grade 1-6) in Five (5) subjects at GCE Ordinary Level subjects including English Language, Mathematics and Three (3) Credit passes (A-D) at Advanced Level in Biology, Chemistry and either Core Mathematics or Physics. Applicants with credit pass in General Arts, Business, Home Economics may be considered for entry into year one.
Applicants who have relevant Diploma certificates in Sports and Exercise
Science, Coaching, Business Management, Accounting, Marketing, etc with evidence of a minimum of two years working experience in the sporting industry may be considered for admission into year two.
Admission of Higher National Diploma (HND) Candidates to First Degree
Applicant must have graduated with a good HND certificate (i.e. at least 2nd Class Lower Division) in Sports and Exercise Science, Fitness Assessment, Physiotherapy and Orthotic Assistant, Coaching. In addition, the applicant must have acquired a 2-year post-HND qualification working experience. Other Diploma qualifications from elsewhere assessed to be equivalent to HND may be similarly considered. The applicant may be considered for admission into year two or three.
Mature students who have attained the age of 25 years or above at the time of application.
Applicants must have obtained credit passes (A1-C6/ A-D) in the following Three (3) Core Subjects: English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science plus credit passes (A1-C6/A-D) in three (3) elective subjects in Biology, Chemistry and either Mathematics or Physics at WASSCE/SSSCE. In addition, they must have worked for at least three (3) years. These applicants will be considered for admission into year one.
Candidates who have relevant Diploma certificates in Sports and Exercise Science, Fitness Assessment, Physiotherapy and Orthotic Assistant, coaching etc. and who must have worked for at least three (3) years will be considered for admission into year two.
In addition to the aforementioned above, candidates must be declared medically fit by the University Hospital and must undergo a physical fitness assessment and must pass a(n) written and/or oral interview conducted at the Department.
All foreign qualifications would be referred to the National Accreditation Board (NAB) for determination of equivalences and eligibility for admission to tertiary institutions in Ghana (National Accreditation Board Act, 2007 [Act 744 (2(2b)]). The American SAT, TOEFL etc. would not in themselves be acceptable as entry qualifications into Ghanaian tertiary educational institutions. Pursuant to the approved minimum entry requirements:
(iii) Prospective applicants are advised to check from the National Accreditation Board whether the institution they intend to apply to and the programme they intend to pursue are duly accredited
(iv) Any person, who disregards the admission policy and the advice herein, does so at their own risk.
REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION
In order to graduate, a student is required to:
- have completed the prescribed number of credit hours in each category of course modules specified for the programme
- obtain a minimum Credit of 132 hours
- have achieved the minimum Cumulative Weighted Average (CWA) of 45.00
- have passed all required courses
- have satisfied all other requirements of the Department, Faculty and College Boards.
Our graduates are suitable for the expanding career opportunities in sports, fitness and wellness industries with promising foreseeable future. Our graduates are employable with Corporate Sports and Recreation Centres, Ghana Football Association, Ministry of Youth and Sports, National Sports Authority, Sporting Clubs, Tertiary Institutions, Ghana Military service, Ghana Police Service, Ghana Customs, Ghana Immigration Service, Ghana Prison service training units, Health and Fitness Centres, and Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health, Ghana Health Service, Private Health Facilities.